Friday, January 29, 2010

Week 4- Results (Bay Scallop Gratin)


One word could be used to describe this dish....fabulous! I was a little worried about this recipe to be honest with you all. I was worried about how the scallops would turn out because I had never prepared scallops on my own. The ingredients were not hard to find, for the most part. The recipe calls for Pernod, which is a French liquor. It has a licorice taste to it, but is supposed to bring out the flavor of the other ingredients it is paired with. To be honest, I forgot to go to the liquor store (in the South they don't believe in selling liquor in a grocery store), so I didn't get the chance to use it in the recipe.I also read online that it is hard to find, so if you want to try it out, be aware it can be hard to locate. To tell you the truth, I hoped it didn't taste bad without it because the thought of putting a liquor that is licorice flavored sounded kind of gross to me. Every other ingredient, except for the prosciutto & Panko, I already had in my pantry. At your local grocery, they sell prosciutto pre-packaged or you can get it at the deli counter. Panko is a breadcrumb that is typically used in Japanese foods. It just is a little thicker consistency than regular breadcrumbs. I found it in the baking aisle of my local grocery store. It didn't take long to put together, but you do need either an electric mixer or you could try it with a hand held mixer. The recipe has you put the ingredients in separate gratin dishes, but I actually don't own them. So, I put it all in one smaller oven dish and it turned out wonderfully! Definitely give this recipe a try if you want a seafood dish that is not only easy, but tastes like you spent hours on it! Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't tried cooking scallops either- it is one of those things I like to eat out, but don't attempt. I am impressed- I did read the recipe and I could actually do it, so I'm glad you tried it. It would be a good one to make for people that seems more fancy. Yum again Katie- you are my hero :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers