Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Week 1- Results

Last night I made all 3 recipes. I did 3 this week because they all seemed to go well together, but trust me when I say I will not do 3 new recipes EVERY week! Since they were new recipes it did take longer than my preferred 30-40 minute meals. It took 1 1/2 hours to make all 3 recipes. New recipes always take a little longer so don't get scared away by the time it took for all 3 new recipes.

The salmon was WONDERFUL! It will make my weekly dinner menu rotation quite frequently! I made it in my dutch oven, first on the stove top to sear it on both sides & then put it in the oven. If you do not have a dutch oven, a skillet will do just fine. It was super easy to make & only required 1 new ingredient. The ingredient was Agave nectar. It was a little expensive, but you only use a little bit so it will last a long time. It can be found at any grocery store. The sweetness of it made the salmon so good that the Salsa Verde was not necessary with it. The Salsa Verde was good, but I would do it with a more bland fish such as Talapia next time I want to make the salsa.

The salad was very good as well. The dressing was super easy to make. I like to keep a pretty well stocked pantry. Some of you may or may not have things such as red wine vinegar readily available all the time like I do (the recipe calls for it in the dressing), but there wasn't any out of the ordinary ingredients. I loved the taste of the caramelized onions with the fennel. The fennel was not overpowering because of the onions & dressing. It took a little bit of time because of all the cutting, but nothing too bad. The grapefruit was a refreshing addition to the salad.

The quinoa was very good. It is a great source of protein & a very healthy alternative to rice. The next time I make it I will probably add a little less lemon because it seemed a bit overpowering to me, but it has lots of basil in it (which I LOVE!) Basil is supposed to help your skin look healthy & is a great antioxidant. The quinoa is a little expensive so if you are working on a budget you can substitute it with couscous or brown rice (both healthy alternatives to white rice.)

Although all these recipes are healthy, other recipes I make may not be so healthy. I will always try to use healthier ingredients in place of the not so healthy & I will note any substitutes in my posts. I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I did! Bon Appetit!

4 comments:

  1. my comment will post as a weird number, but its me...hayley!

    LOVE your new blog, sweet friend! but...pictures...we need pictures! all great cookbooks feature pictures--and blogs love pictures, too. :)

    i love eating your food, so naturally i would love reading about it!

    LOVE you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie loves Salmon, and it sounds like this is just salmon with the agave nector on it? how long into the oven? This may make our weekly list as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried the quinoa tonight! I made it as the recipe says ( I love lemon!), but I agree that the lemon was a little too strong. Plus, I think the kids will like it better with a little bit less lemon (they usually like it plain). I did sneak a little bite of the leftovers after they'd been in the fridge a little while, though, and I think it will make a super-yummy lunch item!

    Thanks for sharing these, Katie! It helps so much to hear the experience of a "real person" before trying them myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just have to add that I ate the leftover quinoa today for lunch. I left it cold and added halved yellow sweet tomatoes (cherry tomato size) and it was DELICIOUS!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers